12/27/2007

The Last Week of December

I have a love/hate relationship with the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Let me set the stage for you. I love Christmas. I love the decorations and the presents and meditating on various facets of Jesus’s foray into our world to bring us life and hope. But, of course, being the Mom, most of the preparations fall to me. And after five weeks of parties and programs and shopping, I’m tired.

So what I want, in that week after Christmas, is to rest. To let everything go and just “be.” But then the other me raises her head—the organized me. I don’t get a frenzy to “clean out” in the spring time, like normal people. For me, that feeling always hits the week before a new year begins. I have this insatiable desire to begin the new year fresh, with closets organized and files weeded of old documents and everything in its place.

Somehow I wish I could have a “week after Christmas” to rest and a “week before the new year” to clean out and organize. But, alas, they are the same week. Some years the rest wins out. Other years I breathe a satisfied sigh when the last closet is straight and accessible. Which will win this year? Who knows. Considering that the next two days I’ll be at a basketball tournament, son and daughter both participating, it might be neither one!

1 comment:

carla stewart said...

I vote for rest and enjoy. For me, this weekend I'll take down the decorations, stock up on groceries, spend Monday writing (pre-planning a project) and New Year's Day with hubby and son and the TV. I do like to start the year fresh, but clean out closets? Nope! Instead I hope to begin writing a new novel and launching my writing goals for 2008.
Hope your kids do well in the tournament. Your being there is the most important thing you could do. Happy New Year!