2/02/2008

Cheering Them On

A local high school is performing Les Miserables this weekend. As that is a favorite at our house, my daughter and I went last night. They did a great job. No, it wasn’t Broadway caliber, but for a group of 16, 17, and 18 year-olds, it was fantastic.

I loved the music and the story, as usual, but most of all I loved watching high school students take on such an enormous challenge. It’s what I love about watching high school sports, too. And seeing high school art pieces. And observing high school leadership in areas of school government or service projects. It’s seeing young people learn to overcome obstacles, to persevere, to become disciplined, to encounter adversity, to be humble in success. To grow up. We are given a glimpse into who God made them to be and how He is shaping them to be it.

Some years, it happens through success, through accolades and awards. Some years, character is forged in the fires of failure, of hard choices, of unfairness. But none of it is wasted.

When it is my own kids (and sometimes their friends), I get the added responsibility of talking through the situations, helping them process their course of action or their feelings, helping them recognize God’s hand in every situation. But in every situation, such as by standing and clapping at the end of the production last night, I get to encourage, to cheer on these young people striving to become adults. And in that, I find great joy.

2 comments:

carla stewart said...

I think we often underestimate the talents and abilities of kids today. You hear so many negatives, and yet, doesn't it just make you shiver to see a group dedicate themselves to long hours of memorizing, rehearsing, and being plucky enough to get in front of an audience?
I'm glad you supported the efforts of these high schoolers and cheered them on. The sound of applause is honey to the ears.

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

My hubby and I help out with our church's youth group, and recently went out to the high school play to support the kids in it. We're avid theatre-goers, so it was a real thrill to see what an awesome job they did of the play. I was quite impressed and very happy to cheer them on. You're right - it is a privilege to see them growing and learning and to support them in that.