3/04/2009

Addicted to Historical Fiction

My name is D’Ann, and I’m addicted to historical fiction. 

Yes, it’s really true. I spent the whole day on Tuesday immersed in 1918. It was wonderful! I didn’t want it to end! I love it all—the writing, the research, the escape into another time and place with its own unique set of challenges for the people who lived there. There is something about putting myself back in time that just thrills me. 

Not that I haven’t enjoyed the contemporary stories I’ve been writing. I have. But they didn’t feel like this. I haven’t really felt this way since the fall of 2001 when I completed my first novel, also a historical and one I hope to re-write someday. 

The hard thing is waiting between-times, being patient until another chunk of time comes along in which to literally lose myself in a story of the past.  

3 comments:

carla stewart said...

It sounds as if you've found your calling - writing your heart. That's such a leap, isn't it?
I can't wait to read your books one day.

Cheryl Read said...

I've been teaching students about enticing leads this week and yours is the perfect example. I love it! Made me laugh out loud.

The Ray Family Adventures said...

The boys favorite book at bed time right now is re reading stories from 'In Grandma's Attack' basically a grandma telling her granddaughter stories of when she was little raised on a farm in Michigan! I now want to order the other 3 books that are more of stories from the same lady! We all have enjoyed it!
Dawn