3/09/2009

Crumbs from the Table

In our Sunday School class (which is actually on Saturday night!), we’ve been going through the gospel of Mark. It has been fascinating! This week, we talked about the Syrophoenician woman’s encounter with Jesus in Mark 7. 

Do you remember this one? She had a demon-possessed daughter and she came to Jesus for help. He told her that the children must be fed first, that their bread shouldn’t be thrown to the dogs. Her reply? “Yes, Lord, but even the dogs under the table feed on the children’s crumbs.”

Now there is a lot in that story, but here’s the thing I can’t get out of my mind. Just before we finished for the evening, our teacher made this statement: “This woman understood the power in one crumb from Jesus’s table. We have been invited as guests to sit at the table and partake of the feast.” 

I know my faith in the feast is often much less than her faith in one crumb. But I don’t want to live that way. I believe, Lord. Help my unbelief.

1 comment:

carla stewart said...

You have a lovely way of reflecting on truths from the Word. I really appreciate that about you, D'Ann!

Also, I love your new blog design. Gorgeous!