7/24/2009

A Fun Find

We spent a couple of days in east Texas with some of our good friends. One morning, Jeff and I ventured into a larger town and wandered through a few antique stores. We love antiques, though we buy very few. Our weakness, however, is books. (Of course!)

We found three books we were willing to shell out $2-$3 each to own. One was a copy of a book I read as a child. It’s kind of an obscure book. I’ve never heard anyone mention it, never found it hanging around in a current library collection. But when I saw it in a dusty back corner amidst a tumble of children’s books, I grabbed it up.

I don’t know if, on a re-reading, it will hold any literary merit at all, but I remember it being a book I truly enjoyed, one that continued to fuel my love of reading—and book-buying, for it was one that lived in my bookshelf for years! I wondered if the author would find a satisfaction in that. She didn’t write a bestseller, but her story meant something to someone. And isn’t that the point?

Actually, I still have titles on my shelves that few people have ever heard of, authors that are not even close to household names. I keep them for the same reason that I bought this one: because the reading of them is a good memory. And somehow I feel I owe it to the ones who penned those stories to make sure they don’t disappear forever.

4 comments:

Cheryl Read said...

What a wonderful treasure you found! I love when that happens.

Heather said...

What's the book?

Anne Mateer said...

It's called Make-Believe Daughter. It's a mystery.

carla stewart said...

My sisters and I love the "antique" hunt, too. A book we've always looked for and never found was "Little Black Sambo". It's available on the internet (at a humongous price), but we've always wanted the thrill of finding it in an obscure place.

One year, my favorite Christmas gift was from my sister--a deck of Animal Rummy cards like we had as little girls.

Congrats on finding your treasured book!