1/18/2012

Movie Music


I can’t write in quiet. I just can’t. I have to have background noise. Music, to be more precise. But words distract me. (My brain tends to focus on the words already written rather than the ones I need to write.) So I need instrumental music. I tried classical music, which I often enjoy, but the mood just wasn’t right. Then I heard other writers talking about movie score music. And I found a match made in heaven. 

I love writing to movie soundtracks. The music is made for story. It evokes emotion. So just as score music is the perfect complement to a story on screen, it also provides the perfect background for creating story on paper. As I looked toward diving into this second first draft of my 2013 book, I decided it was time from some new writing tunes since I’ve written the last three novels with the same playlist. So I thought you might like to see what music is fueling my writing these days:

Downton Abbey
(Not only is it great music, it’s the same time period my stories.)



War Horse
(Ditto above. And of course now I really want to see the movie!)


Up
(One of my favorite movies. One my son’s favorite movie composers.)


So much for the new. Here are some that are still among my favorites:

John Adams


Sense and Sensibility


Little Women


Schindler’s List


Titanic


Emma


Next time you are looking for some fun background music, whether for writing or just for ordinary days, check out some movie scores. Like me, you might find something new that you really enjoy. 

10 comments:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

I'm just the opposite. I can't write with any noise or distractions. I've always admired folks who write to music and have dreamed that would be so enjoyable, but it trips me up. And I adore music at any other time. Go figure!
~ Wendy

Anne Mateer said...

Then you get to use music as a reward for writing! :) Seriously, I love that we all have to find what works for us. It makes people so much more interesting.

Hugo said...

Nice post. I agree- I also work to music- it tunes out distractions for me but I do trip up a bit if there are lyrics!

I found you with the 'next blog' button, but I don't read most of the blogs I encounter, however I took particular interest in yours, and I read it as I think that you might also be interested in continuing a discussion on my blog.

You may not be aware yet, but there is a new phenomenon sweeping parts of the web. It is very ambiguous and mysterious, but the messages that have been transmitted are very interesting and it is creating lots of excitement on the web and in certain circles of society.

It's ambiguity is where my blog comes in. It is a space where the questions and theories of this phenomenon can be discussed and scrutinised, and where those excited by this new viral campaign can try and solve the mystery of what it is, and whether it is really as relevant and interesting as it promises to be. It is still not known whether it is a political party, a philosophical idea or even a movie campaign!

Anyway I think that you would enjoy participating in the early discussions of this phenomenon.

Many thanks, and keep up the good blogging:)

Anne Mateer said...

Thanks for stopping by, Hugo. I'll check out your blog and see what I think!

Niki Turner said...

Oh good! I'm glad someone else uses movie scores for writing music!
I'm especially fond of the Pirates of the Caribbean scores...

Anne Mateer said...

Hadn't thought of that one, Niki! I'll have to check it out. A little adventurous from my stories, but then again it might shake my characters up a bit! :)

Elizabeth Camden said...

Hi D'Anne. I love movie soundtracks too, and ALWAYS have them playing as I write. Something moody, inspirational, longing.... it really sets the tone!

I recently discovered Pandora, an online radio station you can customize to your own taste. Type in a movie soundtrack you love, and it will start pumping similar tunes your way. You can give each song a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, so that after a few hours it is really sending the kind of music you love. I have discovered a zillion new soundtracks/artists I love this way. It is free to get started (although I upgraded as a birthday present because the ads were driving me nuts!)

Cheers!

Anne Mateer said...

Oh, I love Pandora, too, Elizabeth! But I've had trouble getting score music I like there. I guess I need to set the station by the movie, not the composer, maybe. I need to try it again. Thanks for the suggestion!

Unknown said...

The Downton Abbey and War Horse soundtracks have been getting heavy play lately. ;)

Anne Mateer said...

Not surprising news to hear from you, Ruth!