1/26/2011

Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer


I’ll admit that I often go into a new book with a bit of fear and trepidation if I have any kind of relationship with the author. I mean, what will I do if I don’t like it?

From the opening pages of Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer, I knew that wouldn’t be a problem! Her story of a Texas rancher’s daughter who finds herself as a governess on the Texas sheep ranch of an English nobleman completely captivated me. It didn’t hurt that besides an English character or two Karen also sprinkled in references to some of my favorite classic English literature titles. And a great message of faith and following God’s plan for your life. Top it off with a heavy dose of romance and this was one of those books that I hated to see end.

I’m so glad Karen has more books waiting in the wings. And I’m even more excited to meet her face to face in a just a few weeks!


7 comments:

Melancholy State said...

If you didn't like it, you would be gracious anyway! LOL I sound like someone's mother!

No, but I think if you ever had that happen, there is a way of saying you didn't like it, without being insulting. Was it the writing style that you didn't care for, the content etc. If the writing style were perfect, but the content wasn't something you generally preferred to read, you could simply say, well, your book was so well written (gushing is ok here)! I don't typically read , but I was glad to get to read yours because you're such a wonderful friend and an accomplished writer, and I just know that you will do more great works.

Then hope that they never send you another book to read....I'm kidding of course.

Melancholy State said...

eep...my insert genre thingy dropped off.

Anne Mateer said...

Thanks, C. I'm very blessed to be friends with some amazing writers whose books aren't hard to love! :)

Karen Witemeyer said...

Whew! I'm dabbing the sweat from my brow and sighing in relief. Crisis averted. :-)

Thanks for taking a chance on my book, Anne. I'm looking forward to returning the favor. I just looked over the blurb on your site, and it sounds fabulous. And the theme of giving up one dream and allowing God to give you another sounds very similar to what Adelaide experienced in Head in the Clouds. I'm bound to love it.

Your cover is gorgeous, too! Isn't the art department at Bethany simply divine? I have yet to see a cover from them that I didn't like.

Wishing you all the best for your release later this year and looking forward to meeting you in person next month.

Oh, and if you need influencers when the time comes for that, sign me up. :-)

~Karen

Anne Mateer said...

You are so sweet, Karen! I can't wait to meet you, too. I think the theme of giving up one dream and embracing another is so universal. We all do it on some level at some point in our lives!

And yes, Bethany House does fabulous covers. I still look at the cover every day because I love it so much!

Thanks for stopping by, Karen!

Melancholy State said...

I awarded you with a "stylish blogger" award. To accept, please go to my post http://amelancholystate.blogspot.com/2011/01/ooooooooh-pertiful-award.html
to get the award photo and follow the rules for posting. It was kind of fun, but NO PRESSURE!!

Unknown said...

wonderful post!
HI! my name's martina and I come from Italy... I'd like you visit my blog and if you want... follow me! I wait you and your tips! kiss kiss ;D

marti
http://glamourmarmalade.blogspot.com