1/17/2011

Of Fuzzy Robes and Fireplaces


I love winter. I really do. But as I’ve grown older I’ve discovered that I love it most when I can spend it as I wish—in a fuzzy robe in front of a blazing fire. That hasn’t happened much this winter. I’ve had to leave the house on freezing temperature days much more often than I would like!

Still, there are Saturdays and Sundays, most of which don’t require me to go anywhere in the early mornings. My husband makes a fire. I hang out in a nearby chair wearing my fuzzy robe. I drink coffee and get a few things done at my computer or read a book, but then that’s not really the point. The point is the fuzzy robe and the warm fireplace, and the cozy feeling that accompanies them. I guess if I indulged that feeling every day of the winter it wouldn’t be as satisfying as it is when I only get it on occasion. But those fuzzy robe and fireplace days are really the part of winter I most enjoy.

What is your favorite season? What type of day during that season makes it most enjoyable for you?

4 comments:

Richard Mabry said...

I must admit, when there's snow coming down and I don't have to go out into it, it's neat to sit by the fireplace and enjoy. But my favorite season is early spring, when the players are reporting to the Rangers training camp and optimism reigns supreme.

Cheryl Read said...

I'm right there with you, D'Ann. I seem to find rest and strength in those few stolen moments that never come often enough.

Anonymous said...

I have 2 favorites. One is the fuzzy (red) robe and fireplace winter day. The other is the lay-by-the-swimming pool with nothing-to-do summer day. But more than anything, I like the variety that God has given us. If everyday was one of my favorites, I wouldn't appreciate them at all. :)

Anne Mateer said...

Richard--my son and husband are right there with you on spring and spring training! They are determined to make a trip to Surprise, AZ before he graduates from high school, so that's two more years!

Cheryl--I wish we could find more of those restful moments visiting with each other!

VV--I agree. We appreciate our favorite days because we don't get them all the time!