4/16/2012

The North Avenue Irregulars


My kids grew up enjoying so many of the old live-action Disney movies. We have great memories of Davy Crockett, Mary Poppins, Swiss Family Robinson, Gus, The Apple Dumpling Gang and many more. Most of these we watched on videotape (remember those?), but I’ve tried to keep my eyes open for the DVD versions of some of our favorites. 

Recently, one of those popped up at a good price on one of my favorite DVD websites (Deepdiscount.com), so I bought it. Then the other evening, when my son and his girlfriend were trying to decide what movie to watch out our house, I mentioned that one. My son jumped on it. 

If you have never seen The North Avenue Irregulars, do yourself a favor and get a copy. It’s a hoot! An unlikely team of a pastor and six of his lady parishioners help bring down a gambling ring in their town. I’ve never watched without laughing. This time was no different. And yet it was. This time, I noticed something else in this obscure little film that our family loves: it has stellar story structure. 

It starts with good conflict that leads naturally into the main conflict. There are clear goals, clear obstacles, clear turning points in the story. I watched in amazement, having only remembered it as a funny story with great acting. I never imagined I’d sit through such an enjoyable story structure class! Makes me wonder what other blasts from the past I should re-watch.

2 comments:

The Ray Family Adventures said...

I so love that movie! I am laughing right now thinking of some of those lines!!!
We watched Mary Poppins with the boys last night and we had to video record them as they did the chimney sweep song, the were dancing like crazy and loving it!! The funny thing was how they grumbled when we told them what we were going to watch that night, but then they all ended up loving it!!! Can't beat some of those classics!!!

Anne Mateer said...

How funny! Be sure you introduce them to all of those great boy Disney classics like Davy Crockett and Swiss Family Robinson and all the Herbie movies and oh, so many more! We might have to have a Disney marathon one night when y'all come home again!